Left to be reclaimed by nature
The iron spring was lost between 1912-1914 and Spa began a slow decline between the Wars. In the Second World War (1939-1945) Spa Gardens and buildings were requisitioned by the War Office to train soldiers. In 1945, Spa Hall was bought for £176 for demolition. Between 1950-1970, the closure of mills, the Gas Works and the sewage works left the air purer than it had been for 80 years. And so it was left, people walked through, but it was run down and the special place it had once been was all but forgotten.